Save The Ribble

A blog dedicated to preserving the beauty and delicate ecosystem of the River Ribble, and opposing any 'vision' to build a barrage on our River and develop on our riverbanks, floodplains and green spaces, causing damage to wildlife and the environment and increasing the risk of flooding to our homes. Save the Ribble Campaign is not responsible for the content of external blogs or websites which link here.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New Threat to Ribble

Ribblesiders will be alarmed to read in tonight's Lancashire Evening Post of new ideas to build floating houses and even hotels - not only on the Docks but possibly on the River Ribble.

Almelo, NGM and Preston City Council have been talking about the plans, according to the LEP:
"Almelo officials are looking to build a huge floating development in their town.

The floating buildings would have their base hollowed out like a ship.

It means they would combat the risk of flooding by rising and falling with the tide of the river.

According to the Lancashire Evening Post, the project would be developed on Preston Docks AND along the banks of the Ribble and would look similar to designs pioneered in Holland and Sweden.



click on the article to read it in full

How hollow was Hudson's promise to Preston people not to mess around with our river?

No-one objects to this idea in the man-made and sheltered docks, however our beautiful, natural, powerful and sometimes dangerous river Ribble is no place for these expensive follies.

Lets get together to take action to 'Save The Ribble' from the greed and stupidity of the developers and our council.

You can contact us at savetheribble@tiscali.co.uk

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:28 pm, Blogger adrian2514 said...

Hey thanks for the great blog, I love this stuff. I don’t usually do much for Earth Day but with everyone going green these days, I thought I’d try to do my part.

I am trying to find easy, simple things I can do to help stop global warming (I don’t plan on buying a hybrid). Has anyone seen that www.EarthLab.com is promoting their Earth Day (month) challenge, with the goal to get 1 million people to take their carbon footprint test in April? I took the test, it was easy and only took me about 2 minutes and I am planning on lowering my score with some of their tips.

I am looking for more easy fun stuff to do. If you know of any other sites worth my time let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"The care of rivers is not a question of rivers, but of the human heart" Tanako Shozo Save The Ribble Logo